Anglican Church of Canada
Middleton, December 14, 2010: Middleton Anglicans broke ground on a new church building this morning. The church will replace the 1893 building in the centre of town. Instead of remaining on that site, the Holy Trinity congregation chose to return to its roots and situate the new structure beside one of only five remaining loyalist churches in Nova Scotia.
The Parish was established in 1787 with the construction of Old Holy Trinity. That building is now only used for services once a year and is now managed by Old Holy Trinity Heritage Trust and is open in the summer as a historic site.
The Reverend Matthew Sponagle describes the new structure as an opportunity for the Parish, which, like many other churches, has felt impact of an aging population and declining church enrolment. “Our ministry and worship has changed significantly over the past centuries, but our traditional architecture and use of space did not reflect these changes. Our goal is to create a sense of the congregation as a community doing God’s work together rather than being a passive audience. I believe our design is both family-friendly and community oriented.”
Work designing the new church began when problems with the foundation and framing of the current building were identified. The repair bill was expected to exceed $200,000 and the engineer recommended the state of the building not worth the cost of repair or renovation. The congregation has since been worshiping in the church hall building on the same site.
While eager to preserve the history of the parish by salvaging things like stain glass windows from the old church, parish members are also eager for a new, modern building that will embody all the values of environmental stewardship, inclusivity and sustainability.
The church structure will reflect the belief that humanity has the responsibility to care for the natural environment God has entrusted to us. The building will use an energy efficient heating and cooling system that will provide good air quality and low maintenance and operating costs to allow more ministry and outreach and lessen the financial burden for future generations. It has been designed to offer both a worship space and a hall which will allow us to arrange seating and furnishings in creative ways that enhance worship and offer flexibility for social events.